The scientific program of the 2019 meeting of the Wisconsin Rheumatology Association is intended to educate our members on recent scientific advances in rheumatologic disorders. These scientific lectures include updates on Gout, Lyme Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Systemic Lupus, mesenchymal stem cells, rheumatic disorders caused by cancer immunotherapy, sessions on advocacy, and alternative medicine methods.
These sessions will cover several areas of ongoing scientific advancement in the field of rheumatology. They are intended to educate our members and give them more updated knowledge so that they can deliver state-of-the-art care to their patients. Advances in these areas in rheumatology are moving quickly, and it is difficult for practicing rheumatologists to keep up with the latest science. These sessions will serve to provide the needed updates in these arenas.
At the conclusion of the WRA 2019 Annual Meeting attendees will be able to:
- Describe the classification criteria for: Rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, Lyme Disease, Psoriatic Arthritis, Gout, and be able to apply them to patients with both clinical and imaging findings suggestive of this diagnosis.
- Identify the treatment options available for patients with the several rheumatic disorders caused by cancer immunotherapy, and explain how to select appropriate therapy for specific patients.
- Explain the basic science of mesenchymal stem cells, and how they relate to treatment of osteoarthritis.
- Describe the current state of knowledge regarding identification labeling and characterization of lymphoid cells and their trafficking, using the latest advanced methods.
- Identify the various types of orthobiologic therapies.
- Explain what a Pharmacy Benefit Manager is and its role in the drug supply chain.
- Recognize why we have step-edits and non-medical switching, and the role played by various participants in the American Health Care system that create difficulties for patients to get the treatments their doctors prescribe for them.
- Describe the rebate system and its affect on patient access to the correct medicine at an affordable price.
- Identify the system of parameters and treatments of patients with rheumatic disorders using alternative and non-traditional methods.